In geriatrics the Enabling Approach has been introduced in the care of persons with Alzheimer's disease by Pietro Vigorelli. It consists of a professional intervention that seeks to create an enabling environment in the location where frail elderly people live, with or without dementia.
In this environment they can exercise their Basic Abilities , especially the Speech Ability, as they are able to do – as they actually do – without feeling in error, and with the only aim of being happy in doing what they are doing.
The goal is to create the conditions for a Happy-enough Coexistence between elderly people, operators and family members.
1. Enabling Approach (1:9)
2. Origin and method (1:21)
3. Basic Abilities (1:52)
4. Key concepts (1:52)
6. Tools and settings (2:34)
Ullo A., Oteri S., Cannavo D., Aguglia E., Larcan R. I "12 Passi" della "vittima nascosta" per la cura delle parole nella malattia di Alzheimer. 11th Congress of World Association for Psychosocial Rehabilitation (WAPR). Milano, 10-13 novembre 2012. Atti pag 306.
Vigorelli P.: Enabling Approach in Museum Projects for persons with dementia . With many voices. Museum projects for peple with Alzheimer's and their caregivers. Key lecture 29 novembre 2012. Palazzo Strozzi, Florence.
- Alzheimer's Disease International (ADI: international federation of Alzheimer associations around the world)
- Alzheimer's Association (USA)
- Psychogeriatric Association
- American Academy of Neurology
- American Psychiatric Association
- American Association for Geriatric Psychiatry
- Reality Orientation Therapy
- Client-centered therapy (Carl R. Rogers)
- Validation Therapy (Naomi Feil)
- Reminiscence Therapy
- Bradford Dementia Group – GB
- SPECAL Approach: Specialized Early Care for Alzheimer's (UK)
- GENTLECARE Prosthetic Life Care System (Moyra Jones, Canada)
- CST: Cognitive Stimulation Therapy (Aimee Spector, GB)
- The Savvy Caregiver Program (University of Minnesota, USA)
- The mith of Alzheimers (P.J.Whitehouse, Cleveland, USA)
- Neuropsychologie Cognitive (Martial Van Der Linden, Genève, CH)
- Eden Alternative (William Thomas, New York, USA)
- AA – Alcoholics Anonymous
- Al – Anon
- Centre on Age and Community (Anne Basting – University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee)
Testo di Pietro Vigorelli, traduzione di Jeannine Lemaire